Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lei Feng Pagoda

On my day off today, drilling recommenced outside our window so it was time to get out and see some sights on this beautiful fall day.  I took my camera and headed to the Lei Feng Pagoda which caught my eye on previous excursions but I never had a chance to visit.  It's not in my tour book, and I didn't see any westerners!  I saw some tour groups there but they were all Chinese.  I learned it was originally built in 977 AD to treasure a lock of hair of Sakyamuni, a key figure in the Buddhist religion.  I wonder if my hair will be so lucky when I'm dead? The pagoda was collapsed in 1924, and rebuilt in 2002, on West Lake's eastern shore.
Hangzhou 002
The forest surrounding the pagoda was brilliant with fall colors.
Hangzhou 012
The inside of the pagoda was decorated with many Chinese historical figures and depictions of the construction of the pagoda.  The picture on the right shows the pagoda's ceiling which is done in gold leaf.
Hangzhou 016    Hangzhou 034
Some of the painting decorating the walls...
  Hangzhou 020

  Hangzhou 028
In this Pagoda there was an elevator which I refused to take, and instead hoofed it up 4 long stories of stairs.  An easy climb after our twice daily (at least!) climb up the six stories to our apartment!
Hangzhou 026

Some views on the way up...
Hangzhou 029    Hangzhou 017
Looking across an arm of West Lake to Hangzhou beyond...
Hangzhou 038
There were some temple grounds on the other side of the pagoda.
Hangzhou 040
The pagoda was in the middle of a little forest whose leaves were turning brightly colored.  This is really in the middle of the big city, but it sure doesn't feel like it with all of this nature around!
Hangzhou 044
... emerging from a walk in the forest to this huge pagoda!
Hangzhou 079    Hangzhou 092
Some of the striking red leaves on this Japanese maple.  I think the Chinese are good at planning their gardens around the seasons so something is always interesting to look at!
Hangzhou 094

Hangzhou 045
... having some fun with the camera!
Hangzhou 065
Emerging from the pagoda and the forest, I was treated to this charming little park.
Hangzhou 096
Some of the features near the park...
Hangzhou 097     Hangzhou 098

It was in the 40's and 50's today; definitely coat weather,but the sun sure felt good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI, LEWIS FAMILY I LOVE YOUR PICTURES OF LEI FENG PAGODA GARDEN THE COLORS ON THE JAPANESE MAPLE TREES LOOK SO VIBRENT AND COLORFUL.
MY JAPANESE MAPLE TREE DOES NOT LOOK AS HEALTHY AS THESE I THINK THE EXTEMELY DRY SUMMER WE HAD MIGHT HAVE DAMANGE IT. I HOPE IT SERVES THE WINTER. HOPE YOUR ENJOYING CHINA AND IT'S BEAUTY. TAKE CARE. THE KENTUCKIAN.