Thursday, October 18, 2007

More Hangzhou Street Scenes

Here are more views of the streets in Hangzhou.  Street food is perhaps questionable in content, but extremely yummy!  The secret is to pick a place that is very popular, and when you get close to the front of the line, listen for the price so that you pay the same as they do!  I hate paying "White Man" prices! :)

Hangzhou 014

Sophie hanging out with Sue on the street, looking at some yummy noodle preparation.

Hangzhou 016 Hangzhou 015 

This is the intersection near our house, which is quickly changing from old, antiquated China to sparkling, new, high end store China.  Kind of sad in a way!

Hangzhou 017 

During the construction, road crews have inconveniently blocked off the road. The Nerve!  But not to worry, these cars are just going around the blockade onto the sidewalk.  Pedestrians - watch out!

Hangzhou 019 

Sophie climbing our stairwell to our apartment for the millionth time!

Hangzhou 020 

... and more nearby construction.

Hangzhou 021 

Sophie needed a haircut again - here she is getting ready for her cut at the salon's sink.

Hangzhou 022 

If this barber was in the US, his name would be something like, Hermé.

Hangzhou 023 

Sophie enjoyed her haircut so much she fell asleep in the chair.  You can still see the red spots on her face from the virus she had,  but they seem to be fading fast.

Hangzhou 024 

... and here's the blogger in his natural environment.  It's nice to have a day off when the kids are in school!

Hangzhou 025 Hangzhou 026

Today on my day off I went shopping for Sophie.  I bought her a winter coat (which she loves - shown left), 4 long sleeve shirts, 2 pair of pants, a pair of long johns and a pair of  quilted pajamas for about $100 US.  Laying out over 700 quai is so hard because it seems like so much money.  But when I realize it's only $100 US it doesn't seem so bad.

I have been patting myself on the back all day because a) I found several stores by asking the taxi drivers recommendations, and b) I didn't have Sophie with me so I had to guess at the sizes, and it all fits, and c) - I didn't speak any English between 8:15 and 3:00 when I went to pick up Sophie!  Hurray!

Kids' Chinese

The kids are starting to pick up Chinese!  Last night, Sophie was very tired and she pointed to her blanket and said "Daddy, gei wo, gei wo" (give me, give me).  Today she said "Be Careful!" in Chinese and sang some Chinese song.

Yesterday at the boys' school I overheard Peter visiting with a parent - yes, in Chinese!  I only hear Chinese out of Jack's mouth when he's shopping for something. :)

 

An Old Cheater

Today an old woman cut in front of me in a checkout line I had been waiting in for some time.  I told her that I was there first and she said she was just coming back to the line after coming from somewhere else.  Yeah, right!  I told her she could get in line - behind me!  She held her ground and I called her a cheater.  She glared at me but did not move, so I let her go ahead, giving her the best evil eye I could muster.  I always wonder about this Chinese protocol - should I be a gentleman and never get my turn, or be rude and defend my place in line.  Today I did it the Chinese way and it sure felt strange - but oddly exhilarating!  :)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we were in China ,we quickly
noticed the "cutting in line habit
of the Chinese'. we learned quickly
to get in line and start establish
our territory too. When in Rome-I
mean China- do as the Chinese do, right? I guess when you're one of
over 1 billion , you have to fight
to survive. Curious in US

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That was hysterical! I'm sure that if I were having to live there that I would have to stand my ground too!
Really enjoying your blog! Thanks for sharing so much of your life in China.
Dee