Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Grade-school Halloween Lesson

Hangzhou 002

Today was my day off, so Sue volunteered me to go to the boys' school to teach a lesson about Halloween.  I was to do two 20 minute lessons, one for each of the boys' English classes.  However due to the popularity of the subject and that it was Peter and Jack's DAD that was teaching, more and more people were invited.  Finally,  we had to change rooms to the auditorium and I was now doing 1 40 minute lesson to about 80 children.  So much for preparation!

I taught them such Halloween vocabulary as:

jack-o-lantern zombie
trick-or-treat! witch
black cat ghost
mummy goblin

I showed them the scariest pictures I had found on the internet.

Next, I asked the kids who would like to say "Trick or Treat" for some real American Halloween candy (Thanks again, Linda)!  They were very concerned about the authenticity of the candy.  I had many volunteers!

Hangzhou 003 

I also asked who was a good artist, and who could draw me a scary Jack-o-lantern on the board.  Once again, many volunteers!

Hangzhou 005 

Jack and Peter were my helpers in passing out candy to all of the children.

Hangzhou 007 

Peter demonstrated bobbing for apples and made it look so easy, but this boy just couldn't get one!

Hangzhou 009 

Some of the other kids were able to get an apple quite easily.

Hangzhou 011 Hangzhou 012 Hangzhou 013

The kids had a good time as I tromped around the room acting out what a vampire, a mummy or a zombie does.  I attacked several children and I think they were a little afraid!  I think they will remember me.  Overall it was a fun time, and a Halloween to remember!

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

AZsunshinegirl said...

Hi Tim, it sounds like you had a great time and that the kids did too. Sorry I don't have some cool things for thanksgiving too. The pumpking is carved adn the treats are waiting at our house. It is a strange holiday isn't it? Linda

Anonymous said...

HELLO LEWIS FAMILY,
I SAW THE PICTUES ON YOUR BLOGG WITH THE STUDENTS THEY ALL LOOKED LIKE THEY HAD A BLAST. WILL THE LEWIS FAMILY BE CELEBRATING THANKSGIVING THIS YEAR. I WONDER HOW HARD IT MIGHT BE TO FIND THANKSGIVING FOOD ITEMS IN CHINA?
KEEP ON BLOGGING. I ENJOY READING ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY. HAVE FUN!!!